Director of Innovative Technologies and Online Learning
University of Pittsburgh
School of Education
Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Practice
(Non-Tenure Stream) Position
Director of Innovative Technologies and Online Learning
Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Practice (non-tenure stream)
Twelve-month, full-time, non-tenure stream appointment; starting Fall 2019
The University of Pittsburgh’s School of Education invites applications for the position of Director of Innovative Technologies and Online Learning. The Director will provide leadership, strategic direction, and continuous improvement for all academic operations related to innovative technologies, online learning, online educational courses, instructional design, and digital transformations. The Director will be fully engaged with all aspects of the School of Education and must able to speak knowledgably about institutional values, educational opportunities, and faculty and staff engagement with technologies. This is a new, unique, and creative full-time hybrid position that spans faculty and administrative duties. The successful candidate will be appointed as a 12-month assistant, associate, or full professor of practice (depending on qualifications) in the non-tenure stream and will report directly to the Dean of the School of Education. Working closely with the Dean, the Associate and Assistant Deans, the IT and Technology Unit, and members of the Executive Committee, the Director will establish priorities and develop processes to achieve established goals in line with the School of Education’s new strategic plan and the University’s “IT Plan for Pitt.” The Director will also foster inclusive learning environments that support faculty, staff, and student engagement with innovative technologies, online learning, and online education programs.
The successful candidate will have a record of excellent leadership skills and the ability to engage, think, and collaborate with various members of the School of Education, across the University of Pittsburgh, and within regional, national, and global communities. This person will be instrumental in expanding the IT capabilities of the School and collaborating with colleagues to support the creation of a resilient infrastructure and set of systems to support enrollment growth for our online and continuing education programs. Thus, it is necessary for this person to have a strong and sophisticated understanding of how to develop, design, innovate, and sustain online learning initiatives in ways that will positively impact faculty engagement with online teaching and learning. This person must also have a strong commitment to equity and justice, which must materialize in how this person facilitates the development, implementation, and evaluation of online learning experiences and online education opportunities. Strong written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills; strong design skills; demonstrated leadership; a commitment and ability to teach online courses; and success in collaborating with all levels of an academic institution are required.
- Collaborate with the Dean, Associate/Assistant Deans, Executive Committee, the School’s IT and Technology Unit, and the University’s IT and Computing Unit to ensure appropriate design and sustainability of data infrastructure that supports online teaching and real-time data integrations;
- Collect, analyze, and utilize data and data management systems to effectively design, develop, and implement roadmaps for the transformation of technology services;
- Identify academic opportunities and design education programs that enhance the School’s use of technologies and online learning;
- (Co)-design and (co)-teach online courses, when applicable;
- Serve as liaison to university offices and to local, state, and national organizations on matters related to innovative technologies, online learning, and online education;
- Partner with members of the School of Education, staff at the University of Pittsburgh, and colleagues at other universities to innovate and expand our online programs and academic offerings;
- Support the implementation of new academic programs and online educational experiences by (co)-facilitating workshops on instructional design and collaborative planning;
- Work with the School’s IT and Technology Unit to develop an IT Strategic Plan for the School; to create shared policies and procedures for online programs; and to implement strategic initiatives to improve how faculty teach online and hybrid courses;
- Collaborate with the School’s IT and Technology Unit and Associate/Assistant Deans to compile, manage, and maintain program and evaluation data associated with online learning initiatives; and to support faculty assessment of their online teaching;
- Ensure compliance with state and federal guidelines and regulations pertaining to online education, and develop and file appropriate applications for delivery of online programs;
- Develop and implement procedures associated with online learning management systems to ensure a standard appearance and interface across all online courses;
- When necessary, work with the Director of Innovative Teaching and Teacher Education and with other faculty and staff to ensure all endorsements, certificates, and continuing education credits are aligned with PDE requirements;
- Serve as one of the liaisons with Pitt Online.
Required education, knowledge, skills, and abilities include:
- Masters or Doctorate degree with at six or more years of education and technology experience;
- Extensive experience working with technologies and online learning in preK-12 and/or higher education settings;
- Experience creating and implementing sales strategies, strategic partnerships, and institutional and growth strategies related to education technologies and online learning;
- Extensive experience with creating, negotiating, and implementing new business models that advance innovative technologies, online learning, and online education programs;
- Proven track record of continuous improvement and continuous success with using, designing, implementing, and monitoring the role of innovative technologies, online learning, and online education within a variety of professional environments;
- Commitment to innovative and creative forms of online education delivery;
- Experience working successfully with diverse groups of faculty, staff, and students;
- Excellent management and problem-solving skills;
- Strong ability to develop and implement mission-driven goals and to collaborate with faculty, staff, and students;
- Ability to positively influence the climate and culture of the School of Education;
- Warm, welcoming presence with faculty, staff, and students, and an ability to collaborate with them;
- Experience working with and/or teaching a diverse student population;
- Commitment to the professional development and growth of self and staff members.
Salary and Rank:
Competitive salary will be commensurate with the qualifications at a rank of Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor of Practice (non-tenure stream) and Directorship.
Initial review of applications will begin on July 9, 2019 and will continue until the position is filled. Ideally, the successful candidate will begin in this position by fall 2019 or soon thereafter.
To apply for this position, upload your curriculum vitae and detailed letter of application at http://www.education.pitt.edu/facultysearch/. The online system will additionally prompt applicants to request three letters of recommendation, directly. If you are unable to upload your documents, then mail materials to: Director of Innovative Technologies and Online Learning Search, Office of the Dean, School of Education University of Pittsburgh, 5110 WWPH, Pittsburgh, PA 15260. For questions about the submission process or the position, feel free to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Megan Brennan, Executive Assistant to the Dean at (412) 648-1780. The University of Pittsburgh is an Affirmative Action Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity. Women and members of historically underrepresented racial and ethnic (or “minority”) groups are especially encouraged to apply.
The University of Pittsburgh is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled